Karl Lagerfeld — ‘Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.’
I couldn’t now disagree more! I think the advent of joggers is akin to when women stopped wearing corsets; they just allow you to move faster and get more done.
To me, the entire sports-luxe culture has come hand-in-hand with more of us working from home or elsewhere where a suit and more formal wear is unnecessary.
It’s all about getting the right fit and shape for you and there are no short cuts. You really must try them on!
I have mentioned before that there are some things to avoid:
- Anything too tight on the calf – these have a tendency to make your legs look bigger
- Go for an elasticated waist, rather than a tie
- Joggers cut too high on the waist will make your bottom look larger
- Go for a thick fabric, more flimsy ones can sag and reveal lumps and bumps
- I’ve gone off cashmere as a pairing as I tend to overheat, and the material really gives and ends up being too loose
- The current trend is non-cuffed trouser leg joggers, this look is best worn with heels
- If you love brands like ME+EM they have a great sale on now, I added the link below.
Where to Look?
The following are my favourites:
How to style them:
- I love a t-shirt body as they avoid any bulk around the middle
- Also, a simple white shirt tucked in looks fabulous
- A slide is best if you want to wear a flat, or a simple mule in the evening
- I tend to opt for an oversized sweater, or style them with a blazer on top
I will be doing lots of edits on great slides and mules, as well as oversized sweaters, in the next few weeks!