I always have a few people in mind when I am thinking of buying something. Emmanuelle Alt is one, Sarah Harris another and Vogue grandee is another one.
It is a brilliant way of weeding out those buys that seem a good idea at the time but are somehow not right. I adore Sarah Harris as she has a uniform and sticks to it. Sarah buys great shirts, I am still to find a brilliant blue shirt like the one she is wearing below. It is better than a white shirt as you don’t get that serving staff look that a white shirt can give you when paired with black!
She favours simple clothes – jeans, trousers, shirts and t-shirts but then chooses the most spectacular accessories. I never considered earrings but I am now obsessed after seeing this photo below.
Sarah has inspired by obsession with finding a great bejewelled pair of boots or shoes. They have a few pairs on Vestiaire but not in my size.
The Dior slingbacks replacing the Gucci mule on social media is also down to Ms. Harris.
I also love how she avoids dresses (not my thing either) yet still looks dressed up, be it in a tuxedo suit or velvet kimono.
I really love that she has embraced her grey hair. Mine is way to coarse to go down this route but I love how she uses hair accessories like jewellery to dress up a simple pair of jeans and a shirt. Get the best ones from K J Laundry from Sylian le Han.
All her clothes fit, I just love that she may go oversized with a shirt or sweater but the items are not baggy, this makes a simple denim outfit appear more grown up.
If you check her style she wears the same things again and again but just adds gorgeous statement pieces to change the look.
I love the odd ‘bandwagon item’ like these Adidas joggers but I have learned to pair them with a classic piece like Sarah has below.
Lessons from Ms. Harris; invest in the staples and then look for those jaw dropping pieces.
Below are my top picks:
- A great blue (not pinstriped) shirt, perfect to pair with black or to wear over denim cut offs in the summer. Check out this one from the Outnet or the Kooples from Vestiaire Collective or Banana Republic
- Statement earrings are going to be huge, J Crew have the best I have seen so far and also I love Mangos version
- Look at hair accessories, I love the selection at KJ’s Laundry as mentioned above
- Sell all the oversized jumpsuits and focus on ones that fit. I have bought one from Parosh but also look at Vanessa Seward or Rachel Comey. I am also tempted to invest in this Stella one which is now on sale
- Get your hands on some bejewelled heels I am stalking Vestiaire – look out for Dior or Manolos again, Mango gets it spot on too
- A pair of fitted trousers, I have fallen in love with a pair I tried on at Diverse from..
- A great kimono jacket to pair with your heels is an easy ‘going out’ look, if I had a proper job I would buy this one from Alice Archer or look for a vintage piece from Etsy
- The Adidas joggers I love – mine are paired with a cashmere polo and my loafers
- I adore a pleated skirt but you need to spend a bit of money to get a flattering fit, check out Tara Jarmon.
You have to find someone who inspires you and asking whether they would wear it is a great way of avoiding costly mistakes .