I learn most of what women really want from my trips to Marbella.
I get time to head out shopping with a different group of busy non-London based ladies. They have an eye for what suits them, but they don’t have the time or patience for shopping. Listening to what they want and where they spend their money is fascinating, sometimes as a blogger you can get carried away with Instagram and most women are just not that bothered and never even look at Instagram.
Universally, the view is they want better than the high street has to offer, but are unwilling (regardless of budget) to want to spend more than £250 on a dress, ideally less. They want a couple of great, classic pieces but know what suits them and their lifestyles. So I have trawled all the sites and come up with an edit of some great dresses.
Lets start in the top left hand corner and work clockwise:
- I used to buy a lot of Isabel Marant, but this season I wasn’t that impressed with the collection, however the black midi high necked Vealy dress is beautiful and at 50% off, is a classic piece. I adore French site, 24 Sevres, as they often have pieces that sell out on the UK sites
- Alexa Chung really does design lovely dresses, and if you love brands like Sandro and Maje, hers are in the same vein, she just uses better fabrics. The polka dot dress is now on sale at Boutique 1, a brilliant site, that again is not as oversubscribed as the usual suspects
- The one shoulder black midi dress is now £70 and is from Mara Hoffman
- Saloni is one of the those brands that really has caught my eye and I have been stalking the green and white floral dress for months. It is still expensive but this is a brilliant event dress. The brand is one I often recommend to people looking for a dress for a special occasion (thank you Shanaz for the tip)
- The blue gingham dress is from Next and is one to look out for once it goes into their sale
- The Delia dress in red and is a classic Isabel Marant dress and it comes in loads of colours. It suits everyone and it is flattering on as it’s not too short. The fabric is light but not flimsy and I adore the sleeves
- The white short Broderie Anglaise dress is from Paul and Jo. The brand has piles of great dresses on sale. I have, in the past, gravitated to long loose numbers, but as long as the dress is not too short and has sleeves, I do find that for most women this shape is more flattering. The flagship London store is worth a visit
- The blue dress has since sold out but check out C/MEO for a great alternative
- I had a lot of requests for off the shoulder dresses and I spotted this blue denim one from Label Mix, it is from the Isa Arfen collaboration
- Zadig and Voltaire is a brand that doesn’t work for me. However, it is great brand for those who are 5′ 8″ and under. I take a lot of my friends there as they are the best at creating wearable shorter style dresses. The fabrics are far superior to a lot of the other French brands. Normally, the pieces are way too expensive this is one to check out in the sales. There are already so many wearable dresses on sale
- Rebecca Taylor is another brand that creates beautiful dresses and the blue off the shoulder one is on sale at Matches
- Moda Operandi is a site I don’t tend to use unless it is on sale. I have my eye on the white tie strap dress which is now reduced and from a phenomenal brand called Miguelina
- I have recommended so many people to Hoss Intropia. They make dresses in sizes 6 to 18, and again, the fabrics and cuts are really high end, both the short linen dress and longer chiffon midi are on my Wish List
- The Place London is such a well edited boutique and they stock pieces that you will not find anywhere else. I spotted the V de Vinster dress (the white layer dress in the left hand corner) which is now reduced to £76 and there are loads more of this sublime brand on the V de Vinster website. They have loads of great folk and chiffon dresses now on sale.
- ASOS is still one of my favourite places to find dresses and this season is no different. If I am looking for the trends, ASOS is where I go. The green floral dress is from Keepsake and is stocked by ASOS and there are lots of the brands dresses on sale at House of Fraser. Keepsake is one of those labels to keep an eye out for and it will be huge as the cut and finish are great and the price point is fair.
- ASOS also have so many Broderie Anglaise dresses, from high end like the one here which is from All Saints to the blue kimono dress (again waiting for this to go on sale). The midi white dress is already slashed to £76, it is truly beautiful and is from the Jetset Diaries
- Soeur and Sessun are also brands to check out if you are looking for a new dress. I adore the backless mini black one
- My obsession with Freepeople is well documented. It is where I have found my best dresses in the last few years, the dress I am wearing below is from last season. The backless white cotton embroidered dress is one that I have my eye on this year. The bubble sleeve black dress is also from this brand.
My advice is to buy one great piece, rather than hoovering up lots of high street pieces that never last the test of time. .. over and out from Marbella!